Monday, November 9, 2009

Sometimes – it’s ok to steal

Within an organization, it is good and healthy to steal (adopt) the good ideas from others in that organization. It should be encouraged. Some have also figured out that it is good to adopt (steal) ideas from outside of the organization – your competitors. (I am not talking about breaking laws, stealing patents, trademarks or copyrighted material).

Why only some? Why wouldn't everyone want to take advantage of something the competition is doing that gives them an advantage over you? Honestly, I think it is pride.

I recently flew on Delta airlines – first time. While sitting in the coral waiting from my flight, I noticed that they scroll useful information on one of the monitors behind the shepardess. Information included: weather in destination city, availability of business class seats, standby list, cleared standby list (if you name is on the list come get your boarding pass), and other information. It is obvious that they have answered as many of those questions that travellers want or need to know, without making them come up to the counter and ask. Great idea!

Perhaps Delta stole this idea from another airline – I don't know. I wondered how many other airlines have adopted (stolen) this idea. It is obvious that some have not.

If I ran an airline, I would travel on other airlines for the only reason to find out what they are doing and seek out ideas that they may be using to gain an edge over my company.

But perhaps that is just me – my thinking is weird.

Probably why I am not running an airline.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment