Thursday, November 12, 2009

Poppies

"I don't wear poppies because I don't believe in war," was the response from one of my employees when I handed out poppies on Remembrance Day. I was both stunned and speechless. This ignorant declaration was not from a teenager, but from a middle-aged woman. How is it possible for someone to grow up in this country and not understand the meaning of a poppy?

Perhaps one day of remembering per year is not enough. I can only imagine the anguish that a veteran, or the family of one who lost their life, feels when encountering this kind of ignorance and ungratefulness. We, those of us that have never fought for country and freedom, could never comprehend what these men and women of courage have gone, and go, through. Today's generations take for granted the freedom and liberty that they enjoy. Our freedom to choose where we want to live, who to marry, where to work, how many kids to have, what god we want to worship, the people that we want to legislate our laws and social policy was paid for by the sacrifice and blood of men and women.

The freedom to choose to wear a poppy, or not, was paid for.

If we do not keep history real and fresh in our minds, we will be forced to repeat the lessons of the past.

To: Veterans; men and women serving in the military; and their families; I remember, I appreciate, I am grateful, for what you do and have done for my country and me.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment