Monday, September 21, 2009

Drive by smiling


While turning left at an intersection, as I drove in front of and then past the first vehicle in line stopped at the light, I made eye contact with the driver. Then he smiled at me!

I didn't recognize him. Do I know him? No. I have never seen him before. I check my face – nothing on it. My hair – don't have any. I am dressed aren't I? Yes.

It was random drive by smile. This really rattled me. Why would someone do this?

This is not the first time something like this has happened. In a grocery store, walking down the street – you make eye contact with some stranger and they smile at you. And what do I do? Well . . . I smile back of course.

Research has shown that the act of smiling can cause your emotions to change. In other words: the act of forcing a smile on your face can actually make you feel happier – put you in a better mood. Research has shown that smiling can improve virtually every aspect of our health and lives – from helping us to lose weight to getting a job or promotion.

There are people that go about their lives regularly smiling at people on purpose. When that guy at the light smiled at me – it made me feel better. An unexpected smile by someone that I don't know cultivates a sense of favour on my part toward them – I want to do something for them – help them out.

I have decided that I am going to start doing this – random drive by smiling. Not to get something in return. Just to brighten other people's day – put them, and myself, in a better mood – and perhaps even improve my health.

Photo by: http://www.flickr.com/photos/djou

Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

  1. Great blog post. We need happier people with a positive attitude these days. Thanks for giving me a smile as I randomly drove by your blog.

    Keep up the great work!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea. Nice post! Does this still work if you randomly smile in an elevator?

    Cheers!
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon / Marty - thanks for the comments!

    Marty ... in an elevator? Hmmm ... it seems to me that the problem in an elevator is that everyone is facing forward - looking up at the little numbers changing. You would have to turn around, face someone, make eye contact and smile. And that may be perceived as really weird. But then again, you could potentially brighten the day of everyone in that elevator - even if they find you unusual - they would likely still smile. Whatever works - right? Try it out and let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete