Friday, August 21, 2009

Don’t let your lunch get stolen

I suggested to my wife that we should check out "mail order DVD rental." "Oh yes, we have a free night so let's go rent a movie - to watch . . . in three days," was her sarcastic response. Hmmm, I guess that's out – at least for us anyway.

She had a good point. I don't think watching a movie is something that most people generally plan in advance. Most (mail order rental schemes) do have streaming options but my TV is nowhere near my PC and curling up in front of the computer monitor with a bowl of popcorn is not very appealing.

There is no dispute that many are using this system, but why? Could it be that it is currently a better alternative?

The convenience of brick and mortar DVD rental outlets is still a big advantage, but they do still need to compete in every other area.

How?

  • Instead of punishing those who return late with extra fees, reward those who return early.
  • Simplify checkout – set up on-line reservation so that I know the movie I want is there and waiting for me.
  • Drive through return drop off (pick up) so that I don't have to burn extra calories getting out of my car.

Why not just ask the customer – they will tell you.

Or . . . just keep trying to copy the new competition – but Red Box (not yet in Canada – see photo), is going to be a real problem.

Sometimes leaders that once exercised compelling vision become complacent. They get comfortable with success – lose their edge. This allows others to "eat their lunch and pop the bag!"

RedBox DVD rental - At McDonalds, 50 miles east of Houston on I-10. Photo by Adam Melancon

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment