Saturday, September 11, 2010

There is no one capable

I must say that I am frustrated when I hear the phrase "there is no one capable," referring to succession – moving into a management role. Actually, it is not frustration – I'm angry. When someone says this, what they mean is: no one is smart enough, capable enough or good enough to do what they do." That is simply arrogance gone to seed! Far too many people put themselves up on a pedestal when given a title.

So I ask, "What I hear you saying is that among the many members on your team, not one of these people are capable of moving into a management position?" "What about this person (name)?"

"They don't want it," is the reply.

Hmmm, the manager works constantly, rarely takes time off, does not freely share information and continually complains showing frustration about their job and their role. I think I understand; if this [preceding sentence] is what a manager has to do, why would anyone, in his or her right mind, want to do that?

Everyone and anyone is capable of becoming a great leader. The only exception would be due to a mental illness (extremely small portion of the population).

Good leaders always develop talent- often unintentionally.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment