Thursday, October 8, 2009

This is a riddle, right?

Recently a friend of mine, and someone who used to work for me, called me to ask for a favour. He is a middle manager and described an awkward situation that he is currently facing at work. He has been advised to do something that is actually impossible to do. I will admit that I believe that nothing is impossible, if, you are able to work outside of the framework or confines that exist. For example: it is not impossible for me to reduce my driving time to any location and the reduction in that time is limited only by the number of laws that I was unwilling to break and my reluctance to leave the regular city streets and go cross country.

However, in my friend's world, there are boundaries and limitations, which make the request made of him impossible to complete. His first response, "So . . . this is a riddle, right?" questioning the legitimacy of the order. It's no riddle and there was no additional direction or assistance provided. This happens to be one of those "I told them to do it – now I wash my hands – and I can't understand why they haven't done it" scenarios. It was a similar mindset that created the culture at Enron culminating in an ethical collapse, which let to its destruction and large wake of financial victims.

In my mind, there are only two possible explanations for asking the people that report to you, to do something that you know is impossible to complete.

  1. Cowardice ambition: The directive came to you from your boss and you are only passing it along. You do not question directives – it could cost you.
  2. Selfish ambition: The directive is yours. To state that you have demanded it will make you look very good and demonstrate that you are tough and demanding.

What are we to do?

As a leader – never ask someone to do something that you could not do yourself. The request may be difficult and may stretch your team – this is good – very good. Provide support and direction to get them there. Stand beside them – help them achieve it.

If you are in the situation that my friend is in – you will need to question it. In most cases, and hopefully, the directive has simply been misunderstood.

The reason that my friend called me – the favour that he asked – was a request to use me as a reference when his future employer called. Of course, I said yes. After all, he was one of my best people when he worked on my team.

Losing great talent is just one of the consequences of unreasonable and negative organizational cultures.

Photo by: Sean Dreilinger

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment