Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Just say “Thank you”

Many years ago while I was progressing up the corporate ladder - when I was much younger, cocky and thought I knew everything - I was taught a very important lesson.

I had received a compliment on some work that I had done from a senior level executive in the company. To this day I am not exactly sure what I said in response (have done my best to block this from memory), but it was somewhere along the lines of "yeah I know and let me show you all the fine details." While I did not realize it at the time (obviously because I was too focused on myself), my boss (mentor) who was also present during the conversation, was looking on with disgust at my display of arrogance. This mentor (my boss) was, is and will always be a great mentor to all those that he is in relationship with. He is an all around great guy (actually, his name is Guy). I imagine in that moment he must have been saying to himself "Argh, all that work and polishing – tarnished in a few seconds."

Despite this newfound revelation about his protégé, that - he could dress me up, but couldn't take me out, he was very gracious. Afterwards, with concern showing on his face (this look was to break through my haughtiness), he said, "In the future, when someone gives you a compliment – just say 'thank you'". It was a great lesson in humility, which I have never forgotten.

In my view, there are three possible responses to a compliment – and believe me - I have done all three (not necessarily all the comments, but the attitude):

  1. Arrogance: "Yeah I know." "It's about time you recognized my talent and abilities." "Let me show you what else I can do." "Ok, so what promotion / reward do you have for me?" "Just show me the money." Can you add to the list …?
  2. False Humility: "You're to kind, but I know that it could be better." "Ahh shucks, I just got lucky – my work is not usually this good." "I didn't do anything – it was everyone else." "I appreciate your comments – but I know that I can do better." How about this list, anything to add …?
  3. "Thank you!"



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment