Sunday, June 13, 2010

How do YOU measure success?

What makes you successful? What I mean is, how do you measure success? At the end of the process, year, term, month, life, etc. how will you know if you have been successful. Think about that for a moment for the current year – how would you answer that question?

Not that it would ever be declared, but for some this is measured by just getting by, successfully navigating the week in order to get to the weekend, keeping the job, being able to retire, or just actually waking up in the morning. Posing this question to others might bring the answer that they think everyone wants to hear; good marks, good results, financial independence, but they have not put a great deal of thought into it and really don't own the goal.

I suppose what I am really talking about is goal / objective setting. When traveling, a destination is set and then the path to arrive at that destination is determined. This seems obvious if you are traveling, yet very few people actually do this in life. Why? I think we tend to make it too complicated. I am not one for sitting down to plan and write out my life goals – short, mid and long term – only to forget about it and only refer back to it when I read or hear someone say that I should have planned goals. I do have these, on paper and I know where they are – but I have not looked at them for well over a year.

Those who know what success looks like, for them, form a picture in their mind's eye of what that success looks like. When asked, they communicate with an "it looks like" phrase that anyone can picture as explained to them.

"Every leader in my organization will have identified and developed talent throughout their team, creating multiple successors for every management position in their business unit."

"We will become a people factory for the rest of the organization – building capacity among our team – measuring ourselves by the number of successful candidates we have developed and promoted."

"Obtain a beautiful home with a picturesque view, which I can go outside and hear nothing but solitude – the birds, and the wind in the trees."

Can you see, in your mind's eye, those pictures of success?


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment